This list is not all that is out there! yet it's a good start to get you aware and excited of the possibilities. Many of these and other career/jobs do not take a college degree in the area you'd work in, so don't get caught up thinking you will have to go back to school for years. Will you need to educate yourself? of course, yet with todays internet and acess to books online much of it can be done outdside traditional universities.
1. Ecotourism- one of the easier ways to get going in the exciting outdoor world of work. Be involved in showing people natural places, nature and wildlife to inspire them to get involved in saving our natural world. There's a wide range of options you can build a career in from day trips or longer into national, state, city parks to backcountry guide.
2. Travel Writer/Blogger/Journalist- specializing in nature, wildlife destinations, conservation locations in the US and around the world. There are many online courses you can take to improve your writing skills and connect with other aspiring writers. Nature and Wildlife can't speak for themselves so you can help tremendously by being an advocate they desperatly need.
3. Ranger/Warden- this career is hands on working with the public and nature to protect natural resources. Get your hands dirty in the outdoors making a difference for the natural world. Help implement rules and policies in parks as well as wild places that protect wildlife.
4. Wildlife Photographer/Film Maker- use your creative skills to speak for nature and wildlife in a show and tell way. This is more of an entreprenuer route vs job yet jobs do exist in the field. Use your creative skills to speak for nature and wildlife in a show and tell way. You'll be outdoors doing your work most of the time so a love of the outdoors, different weather, nature and wildlife is a must.
5. Animal Welfare- it's going to be tough getting any more hands on than this career option. Caring for and helping wildlife animals heal and return to the wild. No wildlife career has more hands on with wildlife obviously so if you're a true animal lover this is for you.
6. Marine Conservation- there are many faucets to this area of work. One that is relatively easy to get involved in is becoming a scuba instructor basically a tour guide under water. Many scuba instuctors are also heavily involved in ocean conservation efforts.
7. Create Your Own Outdoor Career- start creating your own wildlife, nature, outdoor tours from walking, hiking, backpacking to day trips to spot wildlife and nature. Begin a non-profit for wildlife animal rehabilitation.
Leave a Reply.